Thursday, January 26, 2017

{Spotlight Project} Cornelia Revisits Alcohol Inks



Hi, Cornelia here today, revisiting my alcohol inks. And I needed more birthday cards. After making all those Christmas cards, my stash of birthday cards got depleted...


My supplies:
birthday-worddiepreview-DAIBalloonsandBanners



I dripped pink ink on Yupo paper and let it do its thing.


Added drops of alcohol - you can use rubbing alcohol for that (or use the blending solution, which I believe is just 99% alcohol repacked and sold for a fortune. (Tim Holtz/Ranger would hate me, if he would read this). You can buy 16 oz cheaper HERE than that little bottle of blending solution (2oz) costs you....(I don't make money on that by the way)


Added a different color and let it spread


Added more, as you can see. I then dipped a Q-tip into clear alcohol and dipped it onto the margins of my color puddle


Took too long, so I took a paint brush and just splattered alcohol drops on my paper...


Some more ink and alcohol and more splatters.


Kind of liked it , but flicked on a contrasting color anyway


Cut off some Yupo paper from the bottom of my panel and die cut the birthday from it.


Added the "Happy" with Staz-on ink and some sequins as well as PP at the bottom.


I hope you liked this and if you did, leave me some love ;)

Remember if you try out any of the techniques from our Spotlight posts, hook your project up at our Spotlight Project Showcase.

See you in February!

13 comments:

  1. That one fabulous card with alcohol inks, Cornelia! I love your splatters too! I do not have Yupo paper but I had tried using alcohol ink with glossy photo papers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun project. I still have my AIs out, so I just might CASE this design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't used alcohol inks in ages. You may have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cool effect (and thanks for the rubbing alcohol tip!) Your card looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cornelia, I LOVE your Alcohol Ink background for your die cut Birthday. I like how you added a contrasting color, your splatters and strip of PP. I have a tip..I only use Archival ink to stamp on top of AI backgrounds. It dries quickly, is not sticky like Stazon can be. I do always use my MISTI (or repositioner works) and restamp my images if they do not cover completely, but wait and blot 1st stamping to make sure it is dry. Even Archival ink will smear if not completely dry. Thanks for the inspiration Cornelia...you have given me an idea :-) Hugs...

    P.S. I use 90% alcohol instead of 71%. Not sure it makes much of a difference, but is recommended and is cheap too. Lately I have been using blending solution because does not smell as much and use my rubbing alcohol for clean up.

    Gee...I am long winded today, but was so excited about your cool card and I do LOVE playing with AI's :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My poor alcohol inks just sit in my craft store room (most people would call it a spare bedroom--haha!) & almost never get used. I don't have a lot of colors since I don't know what to do with them. However, a sweet friend just sent me some pieces of YUPO to try & now I've read what you did (& saw Nancy's comment above me), so I'm off to experiment! Your card is beautiful, Cornelia--thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic! I have been playing with my yupo as well, great tip about the alcahol - thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never thought of using alcohol inks just on part of the yupo paper! Looks great! That birthday die is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh - thank you for sharing this - I may even try my AI's and Yupo this weekend - if I get time...
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like it...I love it! Vibrant and eye catching. Loving the colours and the technique. Thank you for the step by step x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous. I think all my alcohol inks are dull colours but might give this a go. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty colors! I'll have to get out my alcohol inks and give this a try!

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)